It’s Book Tag time!
It seems to have become something of a little tradition here on the blog that I fill in this particular tag around this time of year. I think this is my third attempt, so, here are my 2018 Spring Has Sprung tag choices…
1. FLOWERS: LOOK ON YOUR BOOKSHELVES. WHAT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK BOTH INSIDE AND OUT?
Glancing at my massive TBR pile right now it’s a tie between The Wicked Cometh by Laura Carlin and The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gower. I’m only picking based on the outside of these books as I’ve only read one of them so far, but they’re both so pretty that I couldn’t miss out on mentioning them here.
2. GRASS: WHAT IS A BOOK THAT YOU FIND THAT OTHERS LIKE WAY MORE THAN YOU DO?
The Black Magician books by Trudi Canavan were recommended to me with such total love and admiration that it ended up being a LOT to live up to. I enjoyed what I’ve read so far, but I still have the final book on my TBR pile and so far it hasn’t found it’s way to the top.
3. RAIN: WHAT’S A GREAT BOOK THAT LIFTS YOUR SPIRITS WHEN YOU’RE DOWN?
I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J. K. Rowling last year as I started my first series re-read and I enjoyed every moment of rediscovering the magic of Hogwarts for the first time.
4. DEW: WHAT’S A BOOK THAT MADE YOU FEEL ALIVE?
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant.
Killer mermaids, danger, peril, being lost at sea without any real hope of rescue, horror, romance, this book had the lot.
5. STORMS: WHAT’S A BOOK THAT YOU FOUND UNPREDICTABLE?
The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell. There was so much going on, and so many questions regarding the history of the big house and what had happened there, and the wooden companions themselves, that I was fascinated.
There was an ending I never saw coming which left me wishing I could talk about it with someone who’d read the book at the same time as me.
6. RAINBOW: WHAT WAS A BOOK THAT YOU STRUGGLED WITH, ONLY TO BE HAPPY THAT YOU READ IT IN THE END?
I think my answer to this is going to have to be similar to last year because I have such a massive TBR pile, and it’s getting bigger all the time, that I don’t tend to sit and struggle with a book. I’ll move onto the next one and hopefully find something to enjoy more instead.
7. CHILLY WEATHER: WHAT’S A BOOK THAT YOU COULDN’T FINISH OR DIDN’T ENJOY?
Origin by Dan Brown.
8. WARM WEATHER: WHAT’S A BOOK THAT YOU LOVED AND WANTED MORE OF?
The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. It was SO good, and I could definitely have read more, which leads nicely onto the next question…
9. GREEN: WHAT’S A BOOK THAT YOU HAVEN’T READ YET, BUT REALLY WANT TO?
The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden is the sequel to The Bear and the Nightingale, which I really enjoyed, so I can’t wait to get back to Vasya and her adventures.
10. PINK: WHAT’S A BOOK IN WHICH YOU FELT A STRONG CONNECTION TO THE CHARACTERS?
The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams had some great main characters. Vintage, Tor and Noon were all great to read, and I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of The Bitter Twins to go on further adventures with them.
11. PURPLE: WHAT’S A BOOK THAT WHEN YOU READ IT, YOU FEEL SAFE?
I started my Harry Potter series re-read and I’m really enjoying it. There’s something really comforting reading a well-loved and well-known series for the second time, and I look forward to picking up The Goblet of Fire sometime soon. I can’t believe that until now I’ve only read these books once.
12. ORANGE: WHAT BOOK DO YOU FEEL IS INTELLIGENTLY WRITTEN?
I’ve sat thinking about this one for a while and I guess all books are intelligently written, aren’t they? So, I’m going to take this opportunity to mention a few other reads I’ve enjoyed recently that haven’t made it into this tag in any other category so far.
13. YELLOW: WHAT BOOK PUTS A SMILE ON YOUR FACE?
The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley. I loved the magic, other-worldly air to the whole story, the imagery of the golden pollen trails, and the stone figures that may be more than they first appear.
So, there’s my latest edition of Spring Has Sprung.
As always, if you want to have a go at the tag then consider yourself tagged. Enjoy!