Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they provide a prompt and other lovers of listmaking join in with their own top ten list. Click on the link for more info and to find out about future topics.
This weeks theme is: Top Ten Things That Will Instantly Make Me Want To Read A Book
- A Post-Apocalyptic scenario – I do love a good ‘end of the world as we know it’ type story, so much so that I devoted a whole Top Ten Tuesday post to the subject.
- A brilliant villain – Heroes are good, but where would they be without a great villain or adversary to play off?
- Or an even more fascinating anti-hero – I love characters who fall into this category. They’re not totally bad, but sometimes their actions make them impossible to call the hero of the tale.
- Unique magic and epic world-building – I love the escapism of a great Fantasy tale, so the more magic and the more detailed the world the book is set in the happier I am.
- Zombies – If you’re going for ‘end of the world’ then why not add in a few zombies to make things interesting?
- Page count of over 500 pages – I don’t actually do this deliberately and set out to read massive books, but for some reason everything that catches my eye is always so long. I set myself a lower Goodreads target this year because even though I say I’ll try to go for shorter books it never happens.
- Certain authors – Everyone has a certain few authors they’ll always read, right?
- A striking cover backed up by an intriguing summary – I know, I know – you shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover. In general I don’t, well, not the cover alone, but several times recently I’ve been caught by a striking cover. Give me a great summary to go along with it and I’ll probably pick up the book.
- A slow burn romance as part of a greater plot – I like tension between characters. I’m not a big romance fan in general but if there’s a slow burn to the point where you’re really willing the characters to get together then I’m in.
- That totally random thing that just grabs my imagination and insists that I read that book – Occasionally I wont even know exactly why I feel inspired to pick up a particular book, and those are often the most enjoyable reads of all.
So, do you have any recommendations for me after reading my list?
What sort of things will guarantee that you will pick up a book?